Are you getting your point across?
Are you afraid of sharing your true self with the world?
That could be a big mistake if you’re trying to develop deep relationships with the people you do business with. People are more likely to bond with you because of a deep shared sense of “why,” not just because you sell widgets they want. And since we’ve been paying attention, we’ve noticed that a lot of great business relationships start not because of common needs, but because of common beliefs or passions.
Pepper in Your Purpose
We aren’t suggesting that you cynically deploy your beliefs to make more money. That may help a bit in the short term, but we believe the best stuff in the world comes from living to your highest purpose and sharing that purpose with others. In the marketing world, while you can never get completely away from addressing your customers’ wants and needs, you can “pepper in your higher purpose” (a phrase we borrowed from the inimitable Charly H. Caldwell II). People will pick up on it and pursue your products or services with a deeper drive because they sense that you support a similar world view to theirs. So what are some ways you can let people know what you believe in your marketing?
Here are a few:
- Start your videos with phrases like “I believe…” or “This is who I am…” Just be sure you’re telling the absolute truth.
- Borrow famous quotes from people who believe as you do.
- Explain how your particular approach evolved out of your world view.
- Ask a happy customer to tell the story of your shared “why.”
- Make sure your “elevator speech,” your “one-minute business commercial,” your logo and your tagline all contain elements of your deeper purpose.
We Can Help…
If you find the process of building an authentic marketing plan too daunting, we can help! We have a highly evolved process for delving into who you are and who you serve. Together we can build a campaign that could transform the message you are sending with your online presence.
At SEO Ann Arbor, we love helping people succeed, so if you’re struggling to get to the level of your dreams, we’d love to have a chat! Call today! (734) 619-0736